China ended 2018 with 225,000 bookstores and a $55 billion valuation. Has China usurped the US as the world’s largest publishing market?

The latest report from China’s Books and Periodicals Distribution Association tells us China finished the year with 225,000 bookstores and outlets, up 4.3% on 2017, with total sales revenue of 370.4 billion yuan ($54.7 billion), up 5.9% on 2017. The Chinese government has played a big role in supporting publishing recently, as Xinhua reports: Private bookstores Read More …

As Amazon launches Prime Reading in China, a predicted $5.3 bn valuation will make the China ebook market far bigger than the US by 2020

IDBoox of France covers the story that the Chinese ebook market will be worth $5.3 billion by 2020, reporting on a study conducted by Chinese e-commerce giant Dangdang and Analysys which predicts annual growth for the Chinese ebook market of 29.8%. $5.3 billion would value the China ebook market at $2 billion more than Data Read More …

Global book market valued at $143bn

Publishing Perspectives reports today on a new global book market study project, BookMap, which estimates the global book markets to be valued at 122 billion euros – that’s $143 bn USD. With the USA accounting for just 29% of global book sales by revenue that leaves the world outside the USA totalling 71%, although the Read More …